On January 11 the LTO group announced the specifications for LTO-4. This means that manufacturers can start to develop products around the LTO-4 specification. However we are not likely to see anything, at least anything affordable for a few months.
- Products based on LTO-4 expected in the first half of 2007
- Doubled capacity to 800 GB native (1.6 TB compressed)
- Added drive level encryption
- Increased data transfer rate to 120 MB/sec.
- Dropped support for reading LTO-1 tapes
Official announcement from the LTO group: